Saturday, March 31, 2012

Polyphemus!



After being inspired by the Sicilian puppets in Palermo, I decided I needed to make my own, logically! But then I needed characters...and what could be more perfect than a story that took place mostly in the islands around Sicily? The Odyssey, with all its ridiculous and awesome creatures, is now my reference for my puppets!


(Whatcha lookin' at??)

Here is Polyphemus, the cyclops who was blinded by Odysseus. I will get better turn-around photos soon, but for now here he is! He stands a little less than 12 inches, and is sculpted out of air-dry clay, then painted. I sewed his little clothes and made his props, and he has hair too! The joints are screw eyes, and dowels and cord hold him up. The structure is largely based off the Sicilian puppets. I am really very excited about this project, I hope to have a whole cast of characters by the end of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment