Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First 2 Days (primi due giorni)

I think?? My Italian is terrible. Need that class so bad.

So it's been two whole days in Rome now. Yesterday was a complete blur - the whole travel period feels it like it never happened. We had a 7 hour flight from Boston to Frankfurt. The verdict: German flight attendants are sassy. And adorable. I couldn't sleep at all, sadly. Planes are so strange. Time doesn't exist. Neither do taxes, good food, or my hearing. Since our first flight was delayed by an hour, we only had a half hour layover in Germany, then it was onto Rome! I managed to sleep about an hour, then Nick (chief critic), Ezio (art history teacher/mentor extraordinaire), and Christina (RA) met us at the airport. Half an hour bus ride later landed us at the tallest point in Rome to overlook the city:



The name of this place escapes me, we were all so exhausted, but it was incredible - definitely a great way to begin our semester. After this, it was off to the Cenci! I don't have any pictures of it yet, but I will. Soon. It is a beautiful 16th century building that's a complete labyrinth and going to take some time to figure out. And of course it has its quirks, being from the 1500s and all. Like a lack of heat. And light. But it is beautiful, nonetheless. We are living directly in the center of the city, in the historic district on the edge of the Jewish ghetto, which is the oldest Jewish community in the world.

After arriving at the Cenci, we had the afternoon free to get settled in and wander around a little. Molly, Katy, Jamie, Susie, and I found some lunch at a touristy place, but it was food and we were starving and disoriented. Then we walked for a little bit and stumbled on ancient Rome. And when I say stumbled, I mean we turned a corner and there were a ton of people taking pictures of something, and upon further inspection, that something was the Roman Forum, with the Colosseum in the distance.



Is this real life?? Everything looks and feels like I'm in a movie set. We had a little pizza party back at the Cenci, then I crashed in bed at 7:30. And woke up at 7:30. 12 hours of sleep, ohhh yeah.

First impressions: unreal, COLD, stop being so American, learn more Italian, wish I brought more stuff. Things I could really use: slippers, a robe, cell phone/SIM, groceries, peanut butter.

This morning Susie, Katy, Jamie and I had our first Italian breakfast! We met Nadia, the housekeeper, in the morning and managed to have a complete conversation even though she doesn't speak much English and we barely speak Italian. She told us to go to BonBar around the corner for un cappuccino e un cornetto, which we did - YUM.




After breakfast, we had a day full of informative presentations and practical things like where to buy groceries, cell phones, post office, etc. etc. Then Susie, Katy, Jamie, and I headed to Trastevere, a neighborhood across the river, for dinner. We found the restaurant that we were looking for, but there was a long line (meaning it's good), but we were so hungry that we decided to find somewhere else and go back to Agosto's at another time. The place we ended up at was good too though! We had bruschetta and crochettas (I have no idea if I'm spelling any of this right) for aperitivo, then I had a pork chop which was yummy!



This is looking at the Tiber river on a bridge crossing into Trastevere.

So far, Rome has been a whirlwind. I don't know what to think about anything! Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment