Thursday, May 10, 2012

Photography, watercolors, a wine tasting, & a real Italian dinner

The Cenci is lucky enough to have a darkroom, so the past few days I have been developing a roll that I shot over the course of a couple weeks. Here's what I have so far! 











I haven't done darkroom photography since high school so it's been fun remembering how to do everything. Last Friday I did a project where I painted the view from my bedroom every two hours for a whole day to see how the light changed.






 And some more small watercolors...














I also just finished my second puppet, but I need to properly photograph it, so that will come soon.

On Tuesday night, we had a special visit from Katie Parla (check out parlafood.com), one of Nick's friends who has been living in Rome for 9 years, and is a certified sommelier with a Masters degree in Italian gastronomic culture...basically she knows a whole lot about wine and food. She came to the Cenci for our very first wine tasting. Since most of us, despite having lived in Italy for four months now, still buy wine based mostly on price...it was a great experience to learn more about locally produced wine and also how to taste it properly.




And finally, today we had another special treat! Nadia and Rodica, the Cenci's housekeepers and surrogate family, spent the afternoon with Susie, Jess, Andrew, Eliot, Katy, me and a few others, teaching us how to cook! Unfortunately they couldn't stay for the actual meal, but we helped them prepare lasagna, fried artichokes, chicken, smashed eggplant ball things, and peas with onions. Communal dinners in the Cenci are a huge part of our lives now and it's so fun to eat and laugh and be with everyone! And now I have a few more dishes to add to my repertoire.


Tomorrow most of us are leaving for a four day trip to Matera with Nick, a city in the far south, in the heel of the boot. Be back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment